Half-Whole Wheat Crust
1 package of yeast (1 tablespoon)
1 cup warm water
1 1/2 cup all purpose flour
1 1/2 cut whole wheat pastry flour
1 teaspoon sugar
2 teaspoons olive oil
1 teaspoon salt
1. Mix the warm water and sugar together until the sugar dissolves. Sprinkle the yeast on top of the water and gently mix in the yeast until it is wet. Leave it for 5 - 10 minutes until bubbly.
2. Mix flours and salt together. Add oil to water-yeast mixture. Pour water-yeast mixture over the flour. Mix with a wooden spoon until you are no longer able.
3. Knead dough until smooth and no longer sticky, about 10 minutes.
4. Allow dough to rise until doubled, about an hour, under plastic wrap.
5. Punch dough down. Divide into two pieces. I only used one crust, and the other is in my freezer waiting for a later date.
6. Spread out a little bit of cornmeal on the counter and roll out dough until 12 - 14 inches round.
7. Poke the dough a few times with the tines of a fork, so no large air bubbles will form.
8. Arrange sauce and toppings on pizza.
9. Cook in a 500 degree F for about eight minutes. I just did it on the rack directly because I couldn't find my pizza stone.
1 14oz diced tomatoes
2 tablespoons tomato paste
2 cloves garlic
basil, oregeno, black pepper, etc to taste
1. Brown garlic for 30 seconds with a little bit of olive oil. Add tomatoes and tomate paste. Stir to combine. Add herbs and spices to taste.
2. Simmer for about 10 minutes until warm and bubbly.
(I adapted this from Vegan Vittles)
1 1/2 cup instant wheat gluten four
2 T nutritional yeast flakes
1 T Hungarian paprika
1 t freshly ground cumin
1/4 t dry mustard
1 freshly grated garlic clove
1/2 t freshly ground black pepper
3/4 cup water
4 T tomato paste
2 T soy sauce
2 T olive oil
1. Place wheat gluten and the remaining dry ingredinets in a large bowl. Mix to equally distrbute spices through the flour.
2. Whisk together all liquid ingredients.
3. Pour the wet into the flour and mix to combine. It will quickly become very hard mix.
4. Knead for about a minute or so until combined.
5. Preheat oven to 325F.
6. Form the gluten into two 10in logs. Wrap in parchment paper and then foil.
7. Bake for about an hour until firm.
8. Unwrap and let cool. When it is cool, wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate for several hours. (It also freezes well at this point.)
The pepperoni was really good. The crust didn't rise as well as all white flour crusts, but it had a good whole wheat flavour.